Monday, October 19, 2015

About Last Night: October 18, 2015 vs Edmonton


If the last game was frustrating, this was down right rage inducing. Despite "at least still getting a point," which is an attitude I am growing tired of, the result was they lost to an inferior team. The loss to the Blues two days ago was rough, at least the Blues have been a consistent playoff team the last few years. This was the Oilers, you know, the team that has consistently gotten a top five pick for about the last decade. However, the way the Canucks played they didn't even deserve a point.

This game wasn't so much about the lack of defence, but rather the utter waste of chance after chance. Two breakaways which were not capitalized on, with both Sedins not scoring on the same one. I will get into this later, as they will be the first entry for my "Good Cop, Bad Cop," recurring entries, but you are the highest paid guy on the team, and wear an "A" you HAVE to bury that puck, zero excuses. 

One thing which has baffled me early in this young season is the shuffling of lines. Seems like a guy will have a decent game, then next game they are out, or lines are changed. I get you're trying to figure out who plays best with who, but isn't that what the preseason is for Willie? Radim Vrbata, who is still without a goal, seems to have new line-mates every game. From what I hear consistency helps with a guy in a slump, especially six games into the season.

My point is this game was winnable, very winnable, but yet again we were subjected to scoring chances being as good as goals, at least thats the way it seems from the postgame show. Also, while I am rambling here, at about 9:20 of that video we get the "Hey did you know your record against the Oilers????" Really, this is sports "journalism" now? Miller has been in the league since my old ass was still in college, and the Oilers have been down for a good majority of that time, so to bring that up is so stupid.

I know I am being Debbie Downer right now, but this loss was inexcusable in my book, especially with the chances they had. When your highest paid duo can't score on a breakaway and a wide open net, this is a game you gave away, and if you're giving away games this early in the season, don't whine when you finish lower than you wanted to. *Ranting done*

No comments:

Post a Comment