Saturday, October 17, 2015

About Last Night: October 16, 2015 vs St Louis

 

*This is a new feature I am hoping to keep up-to-date where I review the game from the night before. I will play it by ear for the few day games that pop up.


I have to admit, that was a frustrating game, but I guess every loss is in it's own way. I think what made it the most frustrating was the Canucks are a better team than St. Louis. Nothing against them, but the Canucks looked flat-footed on defence and slow to the puck (which Willie acknowledged in postgame), especially in their zone. Passing looked real lazy, specifically coming from the defence. Edler made a very poor choice on a stretch pass that led to the Blues second goal, and Hamhuis had another in the third, luckily only turning into a chance, not a goal.

They had some chances, with five PPs and not converting one. It kind of gives me flashbacks, and not the good kind (acid). Their ability to get the puck out of the defensive zone was also frustrating. At times it seemed like St. Louis had a PP, with multiple Canucks chasing the puck. Then there was the matter of the lines.

Derek Dorsett saw time on the second line, which is curious to me. I like Dorsett, and am a big fan of his. I Tweeted at the time of the trade it was a great pickup and I also liked his contract extension (this was before the Prust trade, but Dorsett's fault btw). However, him on the second line is a stretch. When he and Bo had an odd man rush early in the second period Bo shot, and I can't say I blame him.  We can play coulda/woulda/shoulda all day, but would he have shot if he had Vrbata or even McCann over there? I know, I know, I'm nitpicking.

A look on the bright side though, they did hold St. Louis to 0 for 4 on PPs, which is good to see, and Brandon Sutter's short-handed goal was awesome, and albeit very early in his Canucks tenure I have been impressed so far. Ben Hutton had over 20 minutes of TOI and just over three on the PP, while McCann notched another goal. Long story short, despite a loss the kids (relative term) still look alright.

I don't think this game is an indicator of anything, other than maybe they didn't take their opponent as seriously as they could have? I am obviously guessing why they came out so flat and lost this game, but again got some flashbacks to a few years ago where it would take this team a period and a half to wake up. Not sure if thats on ice leadership or what the deal is, but its getting a little old. All they talked about postgame was how good St. Louis is, well guess what Canucks? You're pretty freaking good yourselves!


No comments:

Post a Comment