Thursday, September 24, 2015

Not Really Canucks Related

I seem like I do this every few years. Neglect this blog and then write a post about how I am going to get back into it and then don't. Well I am not going to promise anything this time, but I do want to start this up again, only because it used to be a great outlet for me to unwind from day-to-day life. You can skip the next few paragraphs if you wish, it will be part venting (any of my Twitter followers won't be shocked by that bit of news) and part introspective.

So I started this blog when I was working in Ohio. It was a great way for me to stay up on the Canucks and connect with other fans. While my time in Ohio was not the best, this became a great distraction for me from my long work hours, and kept me from wasting my days on video games and TV. Now I will clarify that statement by saying I enjoy both, but sometimes an 18 hour day of both is a bit much.

Well my work paid off and instead of getting a transfer to Seattle, which had been promised to me, I went to Minnesota instead. Long work days became even longer and I while I was making a lot more money I was miserable. I drove all over Minnesota and Iowa for work, which honestly wasn't all that bad. I also didn't mind the job that much. I knew the industry and generally get along with most people, as I try to be as diplomatic as possible. Trust me, I ran into some real pieces of work, everything from customers dropping racial slurs, to drinking 7 beers at a lunch meeting. It soon went south though.

They kept toying with my commission structure, and I began to make less money, but worked the same amount of hours. Not to mention my boss decided he wanted to micro-manage me from 800 miles away. I soon left for another company, but quickly recognized my error as they were woefully behind the times in technology and modern business practices. It was time for a fresh start, so I found a job within the industry, but not on the road, and headed west.

I have loved my time in Portland, and am at another crossroads, and not sure if I will be staying or going. Like many people my own age and younger, I have been looking for work that is fulfilling, and pays the bills. This job fit the category for a bit, but this entire year has been a mess, and while the bills are getting paid (barely) its time to move on.

No matter where I will end up I have realized I can't count on my job for fulfillment, not even a little bit. This is not to say those types of jobs don't exist, they definitely do, but the old guard in this country still has a firm grasp, and would rather hire their friends rather than a qualified person. I see the change coming as more and more people create companies they want to work for instead of falling in line, and I love it. Its an amazing trend, but I have yet to find an idea worth backing. The mercenary life works for me right now, and I have no problem going to the highest bidder, but I need to refocus my outlook.

I need to work on the fulfillment side myself through maximizing my time outside of work, hence my European trip this winter. I also need to practice that on a monthly, weekly, and even daily basis. Whether its engaging with my wonderful Twitter followers (genuine compliment), going for a hike or weekend camping trip, or blogging about the greatest hockey team in the world, its on me for that.

I am not going to try and post daily on here, but I might have a higher frequency just because this feels like therapy for me. Instead of dwelling on work, I can turn that energy to this. Kill my disappointment and frustration by burying it in a topic that makes me happy. Ok, enough rambling. Its good to be back and I am really looking forward to another season. See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment