Saturday, June 11, 2011

What Is Going On?!


This is the weirdest series I have ever seen in my life. Fives games, the Canucks have six goals, and Bahston has 14, yet the Canucks hold a 3-2 series lead. Insanity. Last night about killed me. The back and forth was ridiculous at times. A few posts hit, and some very timely blocked shots, by both teams, was enough to give my circulatory system quite the workout.

But this was a classic Canucks playoff win. Keep it close, try to minimize mistakes, and pull one out in the end. The best part was after Lapierre's goal, in the waning minutes of the third, the Bruins couldn't muster any chances. Manny had half a chance to bury an empty-netter as well, which would have blown the roof off of Rogers Arena for sure.

I would be ignorant to ignore a certain goaltender who looks like Borat's French-Canadian cousin. Luongo played out of his mind. He stopped all 31 shots Bahston had, with some amazing stops through traffic and deflections on point-shots. And yes some friendly posts, but its not like Tim Thomas hasn't had any luck. 

Viewers in the US didn't have much luck either watching the game on NBC. We were subjected to Mike Emrick calling Henrik Alex Edler through half a Canucks PP, Mike Milbury saying he is impartial and then laughing, and Pierre McGuire saying the penalty on Kesler was a good call, even though replays clearly showed it was Chara. NBC is an abomination of a sports network. I don't know what happened since the glory days of the NBA on NBC, but it has fallen off the rails.

The officiating wasn't much better. I have said it all series, its not awful in regards to being biased one way or the other, its just awful all the way around. Ever since the lockout the NHL has been calling games differently in the playoffs as opposed to the regular season. Its a joke. What if the NFL just stopped calling holding in the playoffs? This is reflective of leadership, and I can only hope, and with, that with the ascension of Brendan Shanahan will be an era of common sense and logical decisions. Unlike what we have had under the Troll's minion.

2 comments:

  1. Marshall,

    Long time reader; first time commenter here. Love what you've done with the blog.

    However, I think you may be having a hard time wrapping your mind around the fact that the bruins are just a far superior team in every way, shape, and form. In fact, might I be so bold as to say that Boston is just a far better city that of Vancouver, and certainly superior than the likes of Detroit.

    Boston fans are some of the classiest, most well behaved individuals around, especially when it comes to splitting television time between the Red Wings Stanley Cup, and, say, the Celtics / Lakers NBA Finals in '08.

    xoxo
    - Gubala

    Brad Marchand For President 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I think Boston fans aren't that bad I go back to that day, where they proved they are all talk. But I understand, its tough having an inferiority complex to New York sports teams.

    Thanks for reading, I am glad you are enjoying it. I haven't had as much time as I would like to dedicate towards it, but I am hoping once the season is over I will be able to sit down and get some logos, banners, and dare I say some clothing designs.

    Brad Marchand could only be elected President of the Faux Hawk Club of North America.

    ReplyDelete