Monday, May 23, 2011

So Close I Can Freaking Taste It


This was not my favorite Canucks game, but as the old saying goes: A win is a win. They came out looking great. No I don't mean the penalty Tanner Glass took 24 seconds into the game. I was referring to the FIVE subsequent successful PKs that followed. That part was awesome. I figured they would receive their chance, definitely did not think it would come in the form of three straight 5-on-3's, but I ain't complaining.

The PPs the Canucks got were shocking. What was more shocking was the penalty calls were in line with all the BS calls they were making in favor of the Sharks. That part was dumbfounding, which just proves how awful NHL officiating is. This guy would have done a better job:



I was not too impressed with the Canucks down the stretch though. It wasn't a huge let up or anything, but they need to keep up the pressure, that has been the problem all post-season. This leads to my main concern, and its tough because its also one of their strengths as a result, but they are lacking a killer instinct right now. They need to start putting teams out when they are down. They did the same thing against Nashville, had a 3-1 series lead, went home, and had to fly all the way back to Nashville for Game 6. That was an unneeded game, but more importantly, unneeded energy spent.

They are in the same position now. However, the strength of this team has been their resiliency, which was born the night Burrows scored that overtime goal against the Blackhawks. You could feel the pressure lift off the team. You could see it for sure. My father said he was shocked by the celebration, I wasn't at all. Two straight years of torment, and almost a third. Its was like they realized if they can rid themselves of that demon, they can do anything.

Its a tough thing to get used to. I know I have been hard on this team especially the Twins, Alain, and the Defense. But its tough to have absolute faith in a team that hadn't been to the Conference Finals since I was 10! The faith is building, slowly but surely. As I stated before, when this season started I was most skeptical of Bobby Lu, now I have nothing but faith in him. I don't want to get ahead of myself though. For the same reason I have been growing a playoff beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment