Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Ramblings of a Bus Person

I am sitting on a bus right now, headed toward one of my favorite cities, Vancouver. Its only my second time being in the city, the first was 5 years and 1 day ago. Granted until November of 2013 I always lived most of a continent away. However, the last two years I have had no excuse for not visiting. Its a two hour flight, just over a six hour drive, and an eight hour bus ride, so my claim of "being busy" is rather hollow.

The reason this trip was a necessity is because I am moving to London in mid January, and wanted to get in a visit before I left. When you think about it though, that's pretty messed up. Its one of my favorite places, IN THE WORLD, and yet me living so close for two years has not garnered one visit. I had planned on coming last year, but that was canceled due to me trusting someone who was less than reliable. I scoured the Canucks schedule, this year and last, searching for the best weekend. Part of the reason was I needed as much vacation time as I could because I was going to travel to Europe. Well here we are and I don't need that time-off as I am moving there, which is great, but it made me realize: don't wait for things to happen, make them happen.

I am a stubborn jackass sometimes, and I have to wait to see/experience something before I completely believe it or hold it to be true. So if you're reading this thinking "No crap," I apologize. However, I spent two years and change within an easy drive of my second favorite place in the world and never went, because I was "waiting." Waiting for what I have no clue. The perfect time? Doesn't exist. The perfect weather? Its the Pacific Northwest, it'll change in 10 minutes. If I had lived this close to Sydney, Australia, you bet your ass I would be there every other weekend, even if I had to hitchhike.

I booked a bus ticket, and four nights in downtown Vancouver for under $400, which is not bad at all. When I felt the absolute need to go, it was one of the easiest things in the world. I am notoriously cheap and am a big believer in if you watch your spending on everyday staples (food mainly), you can really save significant money. I am all for making sacrifices when the goal is a greater experience, or getting ahead in life. But I just spent two years of it for something that disappeared in a matter of a month.

I am incredibly excited to be moving to London. The personal and professional experience is going to be priceless. However, I made that two year sacrifice under the guise of when I returned I would spend a lot more time hiking, camping, snow-shoeing and snowboarding all over the PNW, especially BC. Well that ain't happening anymore, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit upset about it, and it has added a bittersweet tinge to my move. I guess I am regretting not being on this bus last year, or saying "$400 would be a big step toward Europe," and spending my weekend doing hikes close to Portland instead. But what about the now?

I guess my point is having long term goals is great, but don't completely sacrifice your immediate mental/physical wellbeing. I heard a quote from Benjamin Franklin and always loved it, but rarely follow it enough: "You may delay, but time will not, and lost time is never found again."

1 comment: