Sunday, December 4, 2011

That Didn't Take Long, Unlike My Posts


Yes, yes I realize it has been WAY too long since I posted. I apologize for that, but there is good reason for it, which I will get to soon. But now I think we should bask in my awesome power. Not 48 hours after I posted about Marco Sturm, Mike Gillis dealt him and Mikael Samuelson to the Florida Panthers for David Booth, and Steven Reinprecht. I knew he was an avid reader of mine!

In all seriousness when I first heard about the trade I was happy. Then I looked at the contracts of the players involved and was a little concerned. But after digesting it for a week, and the subsequent three weeks since I last posted, I liked it in the long run. Yes Booth makes a lot, and yes he will be making a lot for a long time ($4.25 million for the next four years), in NHL terms. However, in my mind this trade is all about Gillis trying to make things happen.

Booth has the skills, and track record, of being a scorer (31 Goals in 2008-2009). Now he is on a team with a lot more talent at Center, as well as the Wings. I like the American Express Line of Booth-Kesler-Higgins. The success hasn't been nearly what I think it can be, but a lot of that has to do with chemistry and just knowing you teammates. Booth hasn't been terrible in 17 games with the Canucks, having nine points so far.

The only thing that still scares me about Booth is the contract. The only major contract coming off the books after this season is Sami Salo's $2 million and Mason Raymond's $2.5 million, which makes him an Restricted Free Agent.. The year after they will have Manny Malhotra, Maxime Lapierre, Alexander Edler, Cody Hodgson (RFA), Alexandre Burrows, and Higgins, as free agents. That is a lot of key players, so I believe Gillis is definitely in win now mode. Although a face lift in 18 months might not be such a bad thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment