Friday, March 11, 2011

Red Alert In San Jose



For some reason every game in San Jose starts at 10:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, which completely sucks for me. Surprisingly that half-hour makes a difference, especially when another winter storm is heading my way. But I figured it was Friday the next day, so I could sleep-walk my way through the work day. One of the best decisions I have ever made in regards to hockey viewing. This game went back and forth all night, with both teams just flying up and down the ice.

The Canucks had a very strong first period getting goals from Burrows and Salo. Burrows finally getting on the score board (minus his empty netter the other night). The Sharks came back to start the second scoring 57 seconds and 2:04 into the period. Raymond comes back shortly thereafter putting the Canucks back on top. The score remained 3-2 until just under four minutes left in the third, when both teams turned it up, again. With 2:13 left in the game Torrey Mitchell tied the game for the Sharks. Then with 1:49 Daniel put the Canucks back up, 4-3, but the game was far from over. With just 21 seconds left on the clock Ryan Clowe tied it up once more. Here comes overtime.
Just 49 seconds into overtime Ryan Kesler gets called for high-sticking, first thought was game over. But then my confidence increased, because I knew the ginger-nut was in net, and he did not disappoint. Now I am not denying Kesler's stick hit Couture (I believe) in the face, but Couture acted as if it was a gun shot. But whatever dude, embellish all you want, Schneider will have none of your bogus PP. He was awesome, especially going post-to-post to stop Clowe from not only winning the game, but getting a hat trick. On to the shootout, where in only his second NHL shootout Schneider was stellar once more, stopping Clowe, Wellwood, and Pavelski. The guy stopped 44 shots, and came through huge when they really needed him. Cory Schneider's starts have just entered the "Must See" category for me.

I don't want to overshadow Burrows accomplishments in this game either. He opened the scoring with a nice goal in front, as he was getting hit, and came up huge in the shootout. The shootout goal was the most impressive, considering his less than great penalty shot against Phoenix on Tuesday. It was good to see Raymond back in the lineup and scoring nonetheless. Also enjoyed watching Chris Higgins first game as a Canuck. He looked decent, and even got some time on the PP. Got Calgary coming up on Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada. After having to work last weekend, this is about the best news I could get...yeah I know, I'm lame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment